On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Kenneth Gober <kgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you reach the "(I)nstall, (U)pgrade, (A)utoinstall or (S)hell?"
> prompt, enter S then type the following commands to create the sd1
> device entries:
>
> # cd /etc
> # ./MAKEDEV sd1

Thanks! I had confused the absence of the node with the absence of the drive.

I'm assuming you meant:
# cd /dev
# sh ./MAKEDEV sd1

After more testing, it looks like there is non-deterministic
behaviour: at each reboot either the thumb drive is recognized (i.e.
sd1 appears in dmesg) or it isn't (no sd1 in dmesg, but "uhub1: device
problem, disabling port 1"). Sometimes unplugging and replugging the
hub or drive gets it recognized, but not always.

At least this allowed me to install the system, after a lucky reboot...