On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:56:04PM +0100, Christopher Zimmermann wrote:

> I have the same problem and have tried to hunt the bug, but failed so
> far. Have you already identified the quirks linux and freebsd use to
> fix this problem?

No :(, I worked on it for a while but kernel hacking isn't my
speciality. I don't think the specific quirks I was initially trying to
port would have fixed it anyway, as they seemed mainly aimed at data
transfers and I couldn't even get the miniPCI card to get hot plugged
and detected while testing with an external miniPCI to USB adapter
plugged into the internal EHCI header.

I ended up just using the external adapter plugged into the xHCI ports
exposed outside the case. Annoying not to be able to just have it inside
the case, but it works like a champ in this configuration.