On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Ultramedia Libertad <meloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the disk with the partition /var to dead then we have replaced it, but
> accidentally and stupidly I lost some sections of /var as /var/db so now I
> try to verify the install and uninstall packages but I can not go away
> /var/db/pkg

This is a lesson that many people learn the hard way -- always have
backups.  If you had a full backup of /var you would not have this
problem now (this doesn't help you now, I say this only for others
reading this message).

The simplest thing to do is to simply create the /var/db directory and
see if the package tools will automatically recreate the /var/db/pkg
file.  But this solves only one problem, who knows how many other
things are broken due to missing /var files?  Might as well do the job
right and try to fix everything now.

So the best path forward if you have no complete backup of /var is to
get a fully populated /var partition from somewhere else, back it up,
then restore it on this system.  One way to do this is to use the copy
of /var that is in the OpenBSD installer: back up everything,
completely reinstall OpenBSD on this system from scratch (which will
fully populate /var), then restore the files you care about.

Another option (you might prefer this) is to do a fresh install of
OpenBSD (same version, same architecture, probably amd64 or i386 in
your case) onto a small disk (a USB thumb drive will do) then use tar
to make a backup of /var (cd /var; tar cfz /home/var-backup.tar.gz .),
then use that to restore the default contents of /var (mkdir
/var/restore; cd /var/restore; tar xpfz /some/path/var-backup.tar.gz).
You can then start moving things you need from /var/restore to var
(for example mv /var/restore/db /var/db).  I would not use
dump/restore for this kind of task because restore works best
restoring onto a blank file system, but your 3TB /var probably already
has other files in it already.

You could also extract the missing /var files directly from the
installation sets but I don't advise going down this path unless you
really know what you are doing.  It is certainly not something I would
feel comfortable instructing others to do.  If I recall correctly the
installation sets are just tar files.

-ken