Dear Erling,

Thank you.

I did that. I actually set both LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE.

It was helpful that you stated it worked for you. I used your
information and investigated more. It turned out that the problem was
in the shell that I use.

I use C shell, csh. When I change the shell to Bourne shell, sh, I am
able to type æ, ø, and å.

Could you check whether you can reproduce my problem by entering csh
and typing æ, ø, and å? If it is confirmed, I think I would like to
file a bug report.

Sincerely,
Xianwen