On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 07:18:46PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:23:20AM -0500, Allan Streib wrote:
> > j...@bitminer.ca writes:
> >
> > > Just for laughs I booted an OpenBSD 4.2 CD, circa 1997 (and five years
> > > older than the hardware) and while it recognized few devices it did show
> > > all video correctly.  The video device vga1 shows as vendor "ATI"
> > > unknown product 0x9806 rev 0x00.
> >
> > That release predates the introduction of the framebuffer console.
> >
> > I have had a problem since that started, the video mode selected is
> > incorrect and I see the boot messages in VGA mode until the framebuffer
> > console is activated, then the screen goes blank and pops up a message
> > complaining about the video mode. I have to do a blind login and then
> > run startx. Never learned how to disable wsdisplay and keep the simple
> > 80x24 console.
> >
> > Allan
>
> The x130e can boot in either UEFI or legacy mode.
>
> I have 'UEFI/Legacy Boot' set to 'Both' and 'UEFI/Legacy Boot Priority'
> set to 'Legacy First'.
>
> Maybe this issue only happens with UEFI?
Most likely.

I have no such board around to test but this sounds similar to what I
experienced with a ThinkPad X121e:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=150457245320842&w=2

Try setting different video and/or GOP modes as described in to see
whether this is just another cripled UEFI setup.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=150557217729175&w=2