Hi,

I normally won't use any swap, and if it gets utilized then low
performance would be fine, so normally using a swap file would be
satisfactory for all my swap needs.

That is, if it was not for OS crash dumps. I like to catch those (to
encrypted media) as they can provide insight into the reasons for
system crash e.g. resolve hardware instability or kernel bug.

Dumps are stored to the "dump device", which is the swap partition on
the system disk - and that has the consequence that dumps never are
stored to swap files, right?

Is there a deliberate thought here that a crash could happen in the
filesystem logics so therefore better write dumps only directly to
partitions, or is this for historic reasons only e.g. noone bothered
consider giving "dump device" a wider definition?

http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.2/crash
http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.2/savecore
http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.2/swapon

Thanks,