Hello,

I'd say that all depends on the function/library you're using in your PHP application to send mails.

The `mail()` command, for instance, uses the `sendmail` binary to directly ingest your message in your local mail spool, and thus does not require any authentication. The mail is sent on behalf of the identity your web server runs under. There's options to set the appropriate sender in the message headers, obviously.

If you're using a library such as `PHPMailer`, you'll want to use the SMTP protocol, either locally (on lo0) (1), or remotely (on your mail provider's SMTP service) (2).

It's up to you to define if you want authentication on the loopback port (but that's better to do so).

If you're using your local MTA to send emails (1), either using the SMTP protocol on lo0 or the `sendmail` binary, there's chances you'll want to use a relay host to avoid being blacklisted by your recipients servers (or you should take care to have a resolvable public IP with correct SPF configured in your DNS). Such a configuration has been very well illustrated by Michael below.

I hope I correctly understood your question and I'm clear enough.

Regards.