[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Before tinkering with queues, you might like to figure out your usable
upload bandwidth to know what you're playing with. I would consider my
VoIP altq rules a work in progress at the moment, but defining the
upload bandwidths seem to be quite sensitive.

I have ADSL PPPoA 1536/256 kbit/s and define my upload bandwidth as
212kbit/s and VoIP seems to be working great (quality at both ends).
However if I define my upload bandwidth as 213kbit/s then it is as if
I have just switched altq off. Setting it lower than 212kbit/s then
gradually hurts download speeds (with pri of empty acks to minimize
that problem coming second to VoIP).

So it might be a good idea to know what you have to play with first.
If you estimate too high, your VoIP queues are not going to be effective
and you might waste lots of time trying to figure out why queues which
should be working fine, are not.

This begs the question, what should you do if your bandwidth is variable?

In my neck of the woods ADSL2 has been rolled out, which allows theoretical 24000/1000 kbit/s. Of course, actual speeds depend on the distance from the exchange. When the line resynchs, speeds change. One day I might get 8000/900, another day its 7500/850.

How do I tune altq for that?
I suppose those on dialup have similar problems.

Graham