On 04/12/18 09:47, Consus wrote:
> On 08:28 Thu 12 Apr, Nick Holland wrote:
>> Another "failure mode" of VirtualBox people should be aware of:
>> I understand through good sources, Oracle monitors the IP addresses that
>> it's downloaded from, and if they can trace it back to a commercial IP
>> (i.e., not a home address), and if they see you download (or update) the
>> "not for unrestricted free use" parts, their lawyers will contact you
>> and send you a bill...and they really don't care about "for work" or
>> "not for work related" uses.
>>
>> I'd really recommend removing this product from your computers.
>
> This won't stand in court. You sources are so high on crack it's not
> even funny.

Think about it a moment,
Using my real name, and a public, trackable identity, I just accused a
very big company with lots of lawyers (and they know how to use them!)
of something.  If my facts are not in order, I could be in big trouble.
My facts are in order.

It's not about court.  It's about threatening lots of companies and
hoping a few pay up to avoid the cost of going to court -- which is
considerable, win or lose.

What you believe changes nothing.  Their licenses are complicated, easy
to use wrong, and they seem to care.  I recommend against using their
products for that reason.

Nick.