Process could be in "uninterruptible sleep" when it is inside of disk
access operation for example.

>From ps(1):
state
Alias: stat. The state is given by a sequence of letters, for example,
“RWN”. The first letter indicates the run state of the process:
Marks a process in disk (or other short term, uninterruptible (!!!!!)) wait.

See also
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7002725