Hi Jonathan,

would you mind to make further tests in order to help us to
identify the cause of that phenomenon?

First, could you deactivate synaptics again, start X and
capture the output of
    # wsconsctl | grep mouse
when the touchpad has started to produce nonsense? (You must run
that command as root or configure doas(1) for it). And btw, does
the trackpoint work normally when this happens?