Hi all,

Could you please share your experience with AMD EPYC? I have to implement some heavy processing* for a project and I'd like to try to do it with OpenBSD. At this moment, I have to decide the hardware to use to start with the tests. Basically this would be either Xeon Platinum 81xx or similar EPYC, both in multi-socket versions (the idea is to have 2 processors per server). EPYC being NUMA, however, makes me doubt how well it's supported by OpenBSD. Should both CPUs perform similarly to how they work under Linux (especially 4.15, [1][2]) or should I expect some considerable disadvantage for EPYC under OpenBSD on heavy memory/nw I/O?

*By heavy processing I mean full hw utilization for heavy networking (multiple 10G per server, the ideal would be to come close to 100G with something like dual Sierra 32716 (Intel 82599EB) from InterfaceMasters) for files serving (CDN with NginX), business logic (PHP & co for thousands of simultaneous connections) and RDBMS (MariaDB managing data for the business logic), each task at different physical server (or group of servers, e.g. MariaDB Galera Cluster).

I've done similar projects with Linux, but never with OpenBSD, so probably the first question to ask should be whether OpenBSD is suitable for such setups at all? What performance impact, comparing to Linux, should I expect? The project can tolerate OpenBSD delivering 15% less performance, but if the impact is, say, 30% or more, this would be a difficult decision.

If you have a similar real-world deployment experience, could you please share? Any tip on what could go wrong, possible tough issues comparing to identical setup under Linux?

Thanks,
Anatoli

[1] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-EPYC-Linux-4.15-First-Test [2] https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7000-series-architecture-overview-non-ce-ee-majors/