On 05/09/18 05:06, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> Hello misc,
>
> I wanted to use a MBR partition for backup purposes,
> so I (almost) created (using fdisk) another OpenBSD MBR (A6)
> partiotion, but then I got the message
>
> MBR contains more than one OpenBSD partition!
> Write MBR anyway? [n]
>
> So am I doing it wrong?

yep.
In addition to "same disk backups"? [insert template rant here] ...

Think of the fdisk partition as a way to mark off a part of the disk for
OpenBSD.  It should generally be one contiguous block.  The beginning of
*the* OpenBSD partition holds the disklabel, which is the important part
for marking off OpenBSD disk (sub?)partitions.  When you think about
that, the reason for ONE OpenBSD partition starts becoming more clear.

IF possible, just enlarge your existing OpenBSD partition to include the
new disk space.  disklabel, done.

If not ... just make the fdisk partition something else, and create an
OpenBSD partition in that space using disklabel, format it as normal.
And don't ever us an OS on the machine of the type of the fdisk
partition you picked. :)

Nick.