On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM, Aham Brahmasmi <aham.brahma...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Thank you Koshibe-san for your reply.
>
>> I've actually held back on that diff since it's a bit insufficient by itself.
>
> Ok.
>
>> Actually, you said that you had just em0 on that switch. Can you try
>> adding a local port (addlocal instead of add) alongside em0? It will
>> be a vether(4) interface that needs to be given em0's current address,
>> in its place.
>
> Should I be doing the following? And if yes, what address should em0
> have?
>
> $ cat /etc/hostname.vether0
> inet 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0
> $ cat /etc/hostname.em0
> inet ?.?.?.? 255.255.255.0
> $ doas ifconfig switch0 create
> $ doas ifconfig switch0 add em0
> $ doas ifconfig switch0 addlocal vether0
> $ doas ifconfig switch0 up
>
> Here, 1.2.3.4 is the external public IP address of the machine
> originally assigned to em0.

em0 shouldn't have an address, and you'll also want to explicitly
enable vether0. Otherwise that looks fine.

>> > There is a continuous stream of messages when running "switchd -dvv":
>>
>> I can't say what they are without the full output, but you will tend
>> to see broadcasts (periodic or otherwise) like your second example
>> even on your bridge. From a second look at your earlier logs, it seems
>> the 1->1 'loops' are generated by the switch seeing VLAN traffic in
>> other parts of the network.
>
> Ok. Would sharing the full output of "switchd -dvv" help?

I wouldn't worry much about it, unless adding the local port doesn't
work for you.

> Interestingly, while searching for addlocal, I encountered a
> presentation on switch [1]. On page 13 of that pdf, there is mention of
> the switch sharing the STP code with bridge. Would it be correct to
> assume that there would be no loops if there was STP in the switch?

Even with a bridge, you'd need to enable STP and set priority values
on the ports for it to work, so you're correct - if there were any
loops, the bridge probably wouldn't have worked either. But you've
also seen that, for switch(4), the STP-related options aren't
available in ifconfig, and as far as I can tell switchd doesn't do
topology/loop detection (and probably won't want to rely on (R)STP to
do so). So, the code might be shared, but is likely not used.