Rupert Gallagher [r...@protonmail.com] wrote:
> Everybody loves the idea of an open-source CPU that can be uploaded to an
> FPGA processor. Anybody from China who starts selling a mini-itx board and an
> FPGA fast enough to run risc-v will turn the market on its head in 6--10
> years, killing both Intel and AMD. ARM is fabless already...

FPGAs capable of doing anything big take lots of power and generate lots of
heat. They are far from ideal as a platform base, but great for testing if your
hardware can be described in VHDL or Verilog. The work to go from that to an
ASIC is immense and will take significant backing, which makes the industry
support for RISC-V rather interesting. Everyone wants royalty-free hardware in
their little devices, I can't blame them.