Stuart,

On 29 May 14:18 Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2018-05-28, Marco van Hulten <marco.hul...@uib.no> wrote:
> >> Sounds like ether you're running out of system memory, or running
> >> into ulimit limits.
> >
> > `ulimit` == unlimited
>
>      ulimit [-acdfHlmnpSst
> [value]] ... Display or set process limits.  If no options are used,
> the file size limit (-f) is assumed.
>
> What does ulimit -a say?

I now see there are some limits (root, using ksh):

# ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         33554432
stack(kbytes)        8192
lockedmem(kbytes)    5303876
memory(kbytes)       15888388
nofiles(descriptors) 128
processes            1310

and as normal user, using Bash:

$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 786432
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 5303876
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) 15888388
open files                      (-n) 512
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 4096
max user processes              (-u) 128
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 790528

Apropos, why doesn't "apropos ulimit" show up ksh(1)?  Only shortly
after typing "which ulimit", I realised that ulimit is part of the
shell.

Marco