On 2018-06-22, Dan Campbell <i...@danscomputers.ca> wrote:
> Just saw the news about you disabling hyper-threading by default on Intel
> CPUs for security reasons, which I agree with.  It would be nice to be able
> to do this on systems that don't have a toggle for it in the BIOS, as it
> increases single-threaded performance.  So just wondering when your latest
> distro will be coming out with this change, as I see your current version
> came out in April?  I would like to create a Linux live DVD/flash drive that
> I could boot to toggle hyper-threading off on Intel systems running Windows,
> or to create a dual-boot situation for those who want to use Linux part-time.
>  It could also be useful for updating processor microcode, which can't be
> done under Windows.  Thanks,

It doesn't exactly _disable_ hyperthreading, it prevents the scheduler from
using more than one "smt cpu" per core. It's not something you can do to
affect other OS running on the machine.

On Linux you should be able to achieve similar results with the script in
https://serverfault.com/a/797534

Seems you might be able to do something similar on Windows using a tool called
"process lasso".

BTW OpenBSD isn't a Linux distro, it is a completely different operating system.