So I went ahead and it works! At first it did 3840x2160 only at 30 Hz,
but after rebooting it now runs at 60 Hz, at least according to xrandr
(see below).

Is there a way to independently verify the refresh rate? Unfortunately
the monitor doesn't display it.

For the record, this is an Asus Zenbook 3 (UX390UA) with integrated
Intel HD Graphics 620 connected to a LG 27UD88 4k display via the
included USB-C-to-C cable.

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 5760 x 2160, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP-1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x
axis y axis) 276mm x 155mm
   1920x1080     60.05*+  48.04
   1400x1050     59.98
   1280x1024     60.02
   1280x960      60.00
   1024x768      60.04    60.00
   960x720       60.00
   928x696       60.05
   896x672       60.01
   800x600       60.00    60.32    56.25
   700x525       59.98
   640x512       60.02
   640x480       60.00    59.94
   512x384       60.00
   400x300       60.32    56.34
   320x240       60.05
DP-1 connected 3840x2160+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 600mm x 340mm
   3840x2160     60.00*+  30.00
   2560x1440     59.95
   1920x1080     60.00    59.94
   1600x900      60.00
   1280x1024     60.02
   1280x800      59.81
   1152x864      59.97
   1280x720      60.00    59.94
   1024x768      60.00
   800x600       60.32
   720x480       60.00    59.94
   640x480       60.00    59.94
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)