On July 13 2018 Thuban wrote:

> Default vi (nvi) in OpenBSD doesn't handle correctly most of UTF-8
> sings such as "????", "?? " or so. One need to install
> nvi package to do so.
> Is it planned to replace the vi binary in the future?
> Is there any reason I can't think to keep this vi version?
>
> Regards.
> --
>     thuban

If you read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvi

you should have noticed the following paragraph

"BSD projects continue to use nvi version 1.79 due to licensing
differences between Berkeley Database 1.85 and the later versions by
Sleepycat Software."

So the answer is no. nvi in the base of OpenBSD is further cleaned from
bugs beyond once upon a time common code. bcallah@ could shed more light
on the work on nvi from the base. Obviously if you need UTF-8 support
you have a choice of using package or two switching to DragonFly BSD
which has nvi2 in its base.

Cheers,
Predrag