>>> 2. I have a fully working pf.conf file on my current server, copied it
>>> over to my new server and
>>> made a few corrections since the interfaces are different, but thats
>>> about it.  The problem is
>>> this: the new router boots up and dhclient goes and gets a lease, and
>>> I have an ip address. I can
>>> ping external to the box and also can do a wget and download a file,
>>> so I know the box is online.
>>> My internal network though, can't see a thing past the external
>>> interface, can't ping, or resolve
>>> anything.
>
> it sounds like the new box needs to have the ip forwarding sysctl
> enabled (theres another one for ipv6)
>
> that can be verified if "net.inet.ip.forwarding=1" is in
> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> might be a good idea to review all the little details on this page:
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/example1.html

Well, turned out that was indeed the issue, but only because [for some reason]
sysctl.conf did not
exist on the box...which I think instead of deleting the backup file, I must
have by mistake
deleted /etc/sysctl.conf.  A quick copy over and all is well.

I was tired yesterday and got to the point I wasn't thinking straight, so I
posted to the list to
see if the issue could be narrowed down a bit...

dhcpd would not start due to it looking at the wrong interface, a result of not
editing
rc.conf.local properly...

All is well and new box is online...  48 hour minimum test started now...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Jay