I agree here!

Basically you would need a few components:

MTA / MDA / MUA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_transfer_agent

One way to do it would be something like: Postfix / Courier IMAP / Then bolt something like SquirrelMail on top for web UI client

There are many ways to achieve the same goal as in you don't have to use Postfix you could go for Sendmail or any other....

However for you it might be a better option to go with Linux as @Jay suggested and then whack something like Scalix or Zimbra on top......

http://www.scalix.com/en/

https://www.zimbra.com/

That way you have a fully managed mail system right out of the box with granular control of what users can and can't do.....

Regards,

Kaya