On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:54:21 -0500, Steven S wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> John R. Shannon wrote:

>> failover with
>> these
>>> I use ifstated for that purpose.
>>>

>> I do have a similar situation in my work. We have two ADSL connections
>> to two different ISP's. I did an ifstated configuration and some shell
>> scripts that basically do the following things:
>>
>> a) check if any of the internet links in the modems are up, using snmp
>> (if your device has support to snmp, the majority of the DSL/ADSL
>> routers does)
>
>I used ifstated with ping to the other side of the link (as determined by
>traceroute).  You might need to create a static route or use the route-to pf
>command to make sure you're pinging through the correct interface to
>determine the state.  This shows my ifstated.conf:
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=113776959830873&w=2
>
>I ended up moving the ping to, '("ping -q -c 3 -w 2 10.10.10.1 > /dev/null"
>every 30)' and using a single "if" statement in the downed states.  I also
>found moving everything in pf that did a route-to to an anchor was helpful.
>Then I reload the anchor as shown in the ifstated.conf in the link.  Because
>this is an active test I also reserved a little (very little) bandwidth via
>altq for this ICMP traffic.
>
>Another approach might be to test to see if there is _any_ traffic coming
>into an interface, if not, it is probably down.  BTW, I do this with dual
>carp'ed firewalls with site-to-site ipsec VPNs and OpenVPN for road
>warriors.
>
>Thanks for the great OS!
>
>-Steve S.

I don't see any ping commands of the form:

ping -I fxp0 ..........

in examples of ifstated use. I would think that forcing the interface
to be used would be useful to prevent misleading results.

Whilst I'm at it:
Why wouldn't I change the default route by doing a route delete default
&& route add default $SecondChoice type command and the reverse when a
link comes up on $FirstChoice ?

In general I'd love to see some more configurations with all the
relevant pf.conf bits so that I can study an example or three in
conjunction with the ifstated manpage.

I think I'm going to have to set up a lab test and see what works well
but some other viewpoints may may choosing a better way easier.

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Do NOT CC me - I am subscribed to the list.
Replies to the sender address will fail except from the list-server.