Personally I use Emacs 25.x on OpenBSD 6.3, with the caveat being that
I rely on a number of customizations to normalize behavior to be what I
expect. I would suggest using whichever version annoys you the least.

>> And I am tired that in some modes I cannot get emacs to stop
>> writing things (like indentation) that I do not type.
>
> I believe there is a variable to customize for this behaviour. I will
> know the variable name when I find it in Elisp code down there in
> sources. After that, googling for this name will be very easy.
>
> Before this happens, I will continue to use 23 and 24 (23 does not
> show me indent problem), but I feel prompted to have a look at 21 as
> well (but then even more puzzles for dot-emacs).

This may be a bit off-topic but the feature responsible for this is
'electric-indent-mode', which is enabled by default in 24.4 or later.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Indent-Convenience.html#index-Electric-Indent-mode

Put (electric-indent-mode -1) somewhere in your Emacs configuration
when using 24.4 or later.