On 2018-10-14, Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> wrote:

> Are there any phoneticians running on OpenBSD?

I still haven't read Ladefoged yet, but I use IPA somewhat regularly.

> How do you type the phonetic alphabet in vim?
> Is there a standard keyboard layout for the English part of IPA?

I don't use vim, but the sad answer is that I copy and paste,
principally from Wikipedia's IPA page.  If you're only dealing with
English, the Help:IPA/English page is more convenient.

In general, I use the X11 compose key to enter special characters.
See /usr/X11R6/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose for the available
combinations.  That's sufficient for entering the letters and
diacritics used in all European languages that use the Latin alphabet.
However, it does not cover IPA.

Vim comes with its own "digraph" system, which uses the RFC1345
digraphs by default.  They cover a wide range, including Greek and
Cyrillic, but alas, there's another big hole in the Unicode range
where the IPA block (U+0250..02AF) is.

> but I am looking for a "standard" way.

I suspect people use an on-screen keyboard / character picker.

In fact, googling for <ipa character picker> immediately finds a
bunch of web-based ones.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de