On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:41:41AM +0200, Stefan Wollny wrote:
> Am 24.10.18 um 07:40 schrieb Matthieu Herrb:

> > This probably means that you have some other wsconsctl commands that
> > modify the layout after the initial switch to the 'de' layout.
> >

> Hi Matthieu,
>
> thanks for caring.
>
> For the time being I found an intermediate solution: Instead using
> Fluxbox as window manager I use LXQt and within changed all
> localisations to 'Germany' which survived a reboot.

That's probably because LXQt saves the xkb settings in your session
and restores them.

> What puzzled me is the fact that I did not (knowingly) changed any
> settings which might explain this behaviour. The first line in the
> '.xsession'-file used to be
> export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
> and with this I had German keyboard layout when entering the password
> (luckily right now no special characters different to English layout).
> At present (due to my experimental changes) I have
> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> and thus English is expected when entering username & password.

The locale settings (LC_CTYPE / LANG) don't change the keyboard
layout, unless you have something in your .profile, .xsession or
similar files that change it.

> Which other process / program might influence wscons?

I don't know. But as long as on X startup you have
keyboard.encoding=unknown_0 you will get the us layout by default.

If you haven't added anything to /etc/rc.local or any package that
installs a custom rc.d script fiddling with wsconsctl, I've no idea
why your machines ends up with the unknown_0 layout (which means
KB_USER internally).

--
Matthieu Herrb