Den ons 24 okt. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Carlos Aguilar <cap...@gmail.com>:
> Then, when I execute the following command as unprivileged user sg:
> sg:/home/sg$mv /var/www/cgi-bin/my-site/posts/messages/*.txt /tmp
> I got the following error message:
>
> mv:  /tmp/OneFile.txt:  set owner/group: Operation not permitted
>
> However, it does actually move the file and change the permissions
> accordingly:
>
> Under /tmp
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 sg    wheel  6163795 Oct XX XX:XX OneFile.txt

What is your idea of "accordingly" ?
If you only ask it to move, it would not change user/group, but since
you are not
allowed to make files owned by someone else than you there, it gets your id,
and complains it can't make it www:www.

Since you are probably moving across filesystems, the mv becomes a "cp + rm",
and the cp part is redoing the file from scratch there.