Hello,

I am testing OpenBSD and am looking for documentation on how to add
support for my printer.

1. My printer is an Epson WF-4630.

2. I installed CUPS with pkg_add.

3. I configured CUPS for this printer with "$ lynx localhost:631".
   Unsurprisingly there was no driver for this printer.

4. When using the driver "Epson 9-Pin Series (grayscale)"
   to print the default CUPS test page, the printer outputs
   a white page and the motor moving the paper sounds like the motor
   from a needle printer.

   My point is that CUPS can send something to the printer.

   "$ lpstat" did *not* show any jobs, although the printer reacted.

5. I got the "Epson-WF-4630_Series-epson-escpr-en.ppd" from
   the "epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.32-1lsb3.2.tar.gz" from
   the Epson Website after clicking on the link which semantically
   means "download drivers for Linux".
   As far as I know a .ppd file is a post script printer description
   file. I have the impression that the file depends solely on the
   printer and not on the operating system. (Please inform me
   in case you know this assumption is incorrect.)

6. CUPS now shows the driver
   "Model:
    [Current Driver - EPSON WF-4630 Series , Epson Inkjet Printer
    Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux:]" (no line breaks)
    in the "Modify $printer" page but still shows the
    "Driver: Epson 9-Pin Series (grayscale)"
    on the EPSON_WF-4630_Series page.
    Note: This driver is still selected in the fifth step above
    although I selected a custom .ppd file.

7. I set the printer as the default printer with
   "$lpadmin -d $printer_machine_readable_name" and confirmed
   the change with "$lpoptions -l".

8. Printing the CUPS test page from the web interface leaves the
   printer idle. The job now shows up in "$ lpstat" and can also
   be cancelled with "$ cancel $job_id".

Please, if anyone knows which documentation I should look at to get
at the root of this problem or if anyone here has experience with
setting up a driver for their own printer on OpenBSD, contact me.

Greetings

Andrew Easton