On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 09:18:27AM -0500, David Higgs wrote:
> > As the FAQ entry states, you can use growfs(8) if the empty space
> > is after the existing partition, not prior. You can only grow a
> > partition "down", never "up". What you want to do would require the
> > following steps:
> >
> > 1. Create a new partition on the free space
> > 2. Move all data to the new partition
> > 3. Remove the existing /project partition
> > 4. Use growfs(8) on the new partition to include the space from the old
> >    /project partition
>
> You appear to be right - I see it now.  I had not read closely enough,
> and had focused more on what I could change with the 'm' disklabel(8)
> command.  It would be nice if this info were made explicit in the
> growfs(8) man page as well.
>
> I had already successfully rearranged some partitions using the method
> you propose, but unfortunately the amount of data in /project is
> slightly too big to be easily shifted into my remaining free space.
> I'll try to compress it or temporarily move the data off-system.

I use growfs a lot. I try to plan ahead of time to put partitions that I
can sacrifice when I desperately need to possibly grow something like
/usr/local or some other important partition. Sometimes I have a
partition for the PKG_CACHE when I need to avoid downloading the
packages twice for another computer. This is a partition, for me, that I
can sacrifice and use to grow the preceding partition.
Buy a bigger disk is not always a practical answer.

If you haven't already done it, taking a picture of disklabel, fstab and
df never hurt. Easier than writing it down.

Well, I've been in your position pulling out hairs many times. Worst
case is having a small useless partition stuck in the middle somewhere.

Good Luck,
Chris Bennett