On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:50:38AM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> On 11/20/18 4:43 PM, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > AMD? I have read about problems with non-CPU chips being compromised.
> > Another architecture? I have never used anything other than Intel/AMD.
>
> I can't comment on SUN etc. but AMD would be the way to go if you can.
>
> Theo has said in a recent presentation something along the lines of that AMD
> are
> far more considerate and apply the security checks first whereas Intel do so
> at
> the end!!
>
> Many modern UEFI (bios) have very limited configuration enabled, however the
> configs the OEM has access to enable are larger than ever. It would be better
> if
> the functionality that caused them were not there by default but you may find
> these chip attacks can be mitigated for your scenario, quite easily with the
> right Vendor/OEM board?? Incidentally the Intel usb debug access has been
> there
> for years but it was a physical motherboard access only scenario until
> recently.
>
> I can't help with a good vendor unfortunately. I have no fairly new, off the
> shelf commercial HW to inspect the BIOS of.

Thanks.

After digging into many pages source and I use NoScript, which has an
irritating side effect of actually hiding some of the JavaScript
present, I now see that they are using cloud hosting and some naughty
Google stuff. So I will get much more information about everything
probably next week since this is Thanksgiving weekend here.

So I will be having to select hardware to purchase.
I was assuming that AMD was the right choice, but I wanted to be sure.
I saw the presentation about Intel and AMD on the website. Intel's
behaviour was surprisingly terrible.

I'm not sure exactly what load of users I will have to deal with.
A ton of long-time members have been furious about the WordPress mess
that got put up. As in most forums, more people just read than post.

I'm not at all concerned about govt. snooping. Politics and groups have
gotten extraordinarily weird, odd and even violent in the US.
Their previous setup (before this current one) was hacked at least once.

I'm completely open to any suggestions. I just don't have a budget or a
for sure location to work from yet.
Things are bad enough that anything I do can only be helpful.
So that's pretty bad! :-{
I also want to hear any don't do this or work with this ISP, etc.

Thanks,
Chris Bennett