‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, December 7, 2018 11:43 AM, Mischa <obs...@high5.nl> wrote:

> It might be as easy as adding: up
>
> cat /etc/hostname.bridge6
>
> ==========================
>
> add vlan6
> up
>
> By default the bridge interface is not brought up.
> You can also run: ifconfig bridge6 up

Good idea and I added "up" to my hostname.bridge6 file but it looks like it was
already up (at least by doing an ifconfig bridge6 shows the "UP" flag).
Neverthless to be on the safe side I rebooted the server but still not
connectivity on the vlan6/bridge6 network for the VMs.

On the bridge6 interface I can see the DHCP request with tcpdump when the
OpenBSD installer in the VM tries to fetch an IP address with DHCP:

11:59:35.672258 0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67:  xid:0xbafb375b [|bootp] [tos
0x10]

Then on the DHCP server I can see the following in loop:

Dec  7 12:00:27 dhcpsrv dhcpd[18917]: DHCPDISCOVER from fe:e1:bb:01:01:01 via
XXX.XXX.XXX.1
Dec  7 12:00:27 dhcpsrv dhcpd[18917]: DHCPOFFER on XXX.XXX.XXX.101 to
fe:e1:bb:01:01:01 via XXX.XXX.XXX.1

The IP address ending with .1 is the gateway on my public network and the one
ending with .101 is the IP which should be assigned to my OpenBSD VM.

It seems like the traffic is not flowing back to the VM itself.

I just found a very interesting behaviour by running tcpdump on pretty much all
interfaces of my server to analyze the traffic at different levels and BINGO:
as soon as I run tcpdump on my trunk0 interface the DHCP request goes through
and my VM has network connectivity! But as soon as I stop tcpdump on the trunk
interface: no more network connectivity...

Now as far as I know running tcpdump enables promiscous mode (PROMISC flag on
the interface) and this should the reason why it works.

But now what does it mean for my setup, do I need to enable promiscuous mode on
my trunk interface manually? and if yes how can I do that?