Hi. For this type of setup Zoneminder is great. I have no experience running it
on OpenBSD though. As for cameras have you looked at HikVision? They are very
reasonable pricewise when compared with say Axis.
They have high quality 4k cameras even which are priced under $150 (US). A good
solution here according to many cctv guys is to set them to 5fps though they do
reach 25fps/pal or 30fps/ntsc.
Regards,
Kaya

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Johan Mellberg
<johan.mellb...@gmail.com> Date: 1/1/19  22:15  (GMT+00:00) To: OpenBSD General
Misc <misc@openbsd.org> Subject: Re: Advice on Security Cameras

> 1 jan. 2019 kl. 18:46 skrev Elias M. Mariani <marianiel...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi list,
> I'm thinking in installing some cameras in my private home, I have
> been looking for solutions, my concern is that I wish to be able to
> look the videos from outside the house and I'm a little paranoid about
> the quality of the software that the different vendors use. I have
> seen clusters of camaras that only work over ActiveX...
> I know that is a little off-topic but maybe someone knows about a good
> brand of cameras.
> Of-course one can always set a VPN tunnel trough OpenBSD for the
> security matter, OpenVPN works on Android so is easy to access from a
> smartphone. But I would prefer to have a single secure service running
> that adding a layer of complexity with the VPN.
>
> I'm looking for:
> - Not overpriced cameras.
> - They don't need to be "external cameras", they will be covered under a roof.
> - I need to set at least 4, so I need them to be accessible from a
> single platform.
> - Android / Browser friendly (not only IE plz...)
> - WiFi is not needed, I have a 12v supply and Ethernet connections for
> each camera.
> - Good video quality but I'm not looking for anything super great...
> - the ability to centralize recording and access to view the cameras is a
> must.
>
> Again, sorry for the off-topic but were would I find a better place to
> ask about surveillance and security ? :D
>
> Cheers and happy new year.
> Elias.

Hi,

I don't know much about available options but I personally like the Netatmo
Presence cameras although those are WiFi-only and might not be suitable for
your requirements (as far as I know you HAVE to use their smartphone app for
example, and set up an account to control your camera). I’d otherwise suggest
having a look at Zoneminder if you want centralised recording. They seem to
support lots of cameras and I think they have some recommendations on supported
hardware. Haven’t had time to dig in myself though.

/Johan