On 09/02/06, Craig M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry people.
>
> I should have stated that I'm after something really cheap, hence why I
> don't expect much power or features out of it. So I'd like a used laptop
> of say 300MHz or better with 64MB or better and wired networking.
>
> I don't like eBay, as I've had too many bad experiences with them and as
> a result haven't traded on there for over a year now.
>
> Thanks anyway. I'll check out MicroMart and see what that turns up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig
>
> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 15:37 +0000, Craig M wrote:
> > I've been searching for a long time, for a usable laptop to dedicate to
> > OpenBSD usage and after trawling the archives, it looks like IBM
> > Thinkpads are a good bet for OpenBSD. I'm looking for something with
> > wired network connectivity and I don't care for wireless. CPU speed, RAM
> > and drive space aren't hugely important, but I would like to be able to
> > run a basic X, if at all possible. It would primarily be to use whilst
> > sat in bed at night, so being reasonably quiet is more important to most
> > other considerations.
> >
> > My main question really, is does anybody know of a decent place to buy a
> > used laptop for OpenBSD use, in the UK? Or does anybody on the list have
> > one for sale? A reasonable little laptop would complete my list of
> > hardware "must haves" for me, but I just can't find anything very
> > suitable.
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
> >
> > Regards,
> > Craig
> >
> > On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 14:08 -0600, Julesg wrote:
> > > I want aircard support of course (which lets out DELL and a few other
> manufactuer's.)
> > >
> > > So what's the best?  Why?
> > >
> > > BTW:  I suspect, but have zero affirming data, that SSH2 has been
> cracked.  I had numerous security incidents on another laptop (not running
> Obsd,) so I don't know if the problem was Fbsd or SSH, though the Fbsd OS
> was re-installed several times and serurity oriented folks tightened down
> Fbsd for me (out of the box, it's a joke!)
> > >
> > > Now I'm getting into laptop's again and want to make the right
> choices!  Which means Obsd first and foremost, so I ask:  which laptop??
> > >
> > > --jg
>
> I have found that IBM Thinkpads are a safe bet with OpenBSD. I would
recommend you go for Thinkpad T20 model or better. There are very easy to
find from corporate sales for less then B#200.
Ebay would of been another option but if u don't like it you can try
Saturday/Sunday markets etc. I ve seen bunches of them on sale at
London/Tottenham Court Road Saturday markets.

lp