Jyri Hovila [Turvamies.fi] writes:
> Theo, with all due respect, there are many situations where upgrading
> to a snapshot really isn't an option.

In such a situation, you shouldn't expect to be able to build -current
all the time. And the advice you'll always get is: update to a snapshot,
because that makes the build problems magically go away.

> > Those instructions to exist the noise on the list everytime we
> > make a change and people don't notice or understand it and suddenly
> > they are in over their heads
>
> Again with all due respect, should all users of OpenBSD constantly watch the
> development in order to be able to use it?

The point of upgrading to a snapshot before building -current is you
don't have to be intimately familiar with what's going on in -current
that might affect a build.

> Then again: using RELEASE is a huge pain from the perspective of a server adm
> inistrator with many [often virtual] hosts to maintain. The pain is so big th
> at it actually drove me away from using OpenBSD for almost a decade.

This thread started with someone mistakenly building -current from
-stable. The OP intended to build -stable from -stable. The solution is
simple and documented: build -stable from -stable, build -current from
a snapshot, or even better, don't install from source if you can help it.

Is your suggestion that OpenBSD focus development effort on making it
possible to build -current from any conceivable post-6.4 checkout?
That seems an impossible task, one that would take time away from other
development efforts. Once again, the alternative is simple and well
documented: build -stable from -stable, build -current from snaps.

--
Anthony J. Bentley