On 11/02/06, Nick Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm hardly an expert so I hope you get some other opinions but here
> are my thoughts:
>
> On 2/10/06, Constantine A. Murenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > At a remote location, I have two boxes that are connected with each
> > other via a serial cable, and through a router to the internet.
> >
> > One of the boxes is OpenBSD 3.6, and I'd like to upgrade it to 3.8,
> > and then compile -current (I want to play with the kernel alongside
> > sensors.h / lm(4)).
> >
> > What's the best way to do it?
> >
> > I guess, wget'ing the bsd.rd from ftp.openbsd.org mirror would be the
> > best "installation media", but then upon reboot should I choose
> > 'upgrade' and do 3.6 -> 3.7, then repeat the procedure with 3.7 ->
> > 3.8, then cvsup and compile the -current from sources?  Or should I
> > 'install' 3.8, then cvsup -current, and compile?
> >

> The FAQ somewhere suggests "of course, starting with a fresh install
> is always best".
>
> > If I'll choose to install 3.8, then will I be able to leave my
> > partitioning scheme and contents of my custom partitions intact? Or
> > will I have to repartition the drive?
>
> The install script does run fdisk and disklabel but there's no reason
> you can't simply quit both immediately without making changes. All
> "installing" consists of is untarring the various install sets,
> writing some /etc/*.conf files with info from the user, using MAKEDEV
> to make various device nodes (not that I really understand what that
> means) and--oh--running newfs. I guess it would kill your partitions
> then. Probably upgrading is your best bet then, and I'm pretty sure
> you can go 3.6->3.8 immediately. Perhaps you could install by hand if
> all else fails?

The FAQ says skipping releases is not supported. :-)

> > tvc:constant {172} df -h ; disklabel wd0 ; fdisk wd0
> > Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/wd0m     7.9G   2.0K   7.5G     0%    /mozilla
>
> You have an entire partition for mozilla? I'm curious why (I'm
> somewhat a newbie, I like enlightenment).

I am a mozilla contributor. :-) I used to build it in /home on
FreeBSD, which actually was /usr (/usr/home), and it all got too messy
(`find /usr -name "somename"` became too awkward etc). So I decided to
play it cool with OpenBSD, in case I'd like to hack mozilla again.

Constantine.