On 3/7/19 7:19 AM, Chris Bennett wrote:
> I've avoided anything with Nvidia like the plague.
> But it just occurred to me to ask, ignoring X completely and never
> running it, are the rest of the Nvidia parts supported or is Nvidia
> anything a total no-go?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Bennett

it..varies.
A few couple years ago, I retired an nvidia chipped system I used as a
firewall for a few years.  Disk I/O was slow, USB support seemed slow (I
was booting from a USB flash drive).  NICs were some em(4) and dc(4)
add-in cards.  However, it pumped packets around just fine, but the rest
of the machine was "eh".

So...  If you end up with an nvidia powered machine in your pile, give
it a try and see how it works for *your application*.  If you are
buying, no, I'd just avoid it, the alternatives work better.

Nick.