On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:11:34PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2019/04/10 12:43, Reyk Floeter wrote:
> > I have an em(4) with SFP in my FTTH gateway, a Lanner LEB-6032.  I'd
> > be happy to test any em(4) diff for it.
> >
> > I had to get a special SFP that is compatible with the FTTH specs here
> > in Zurich.  It is using an asymmetric wavelength, Tx1310nm and
> > Rx1460-1580nm, and I am wondering if your code could show this fact
> > somehow.
>
> There is really nothing in the spec for bidi optiocs. If you can plug it
> into a supported nic (ix/ixl for now) you should see the Tx wavelength
> but there's nowhere to retrieve the Rx wavelength.
>
> Nice to have an FTTH setup that just lets you use your own kit! The few
> UK providers doing ethernet FTTH are mostly using Genexis boxes I think
> (probably for laser safety reasons, their fibre management makes it hard
> to look straight into a disconnected fibre).

I heard that a few years ago the people in Zurich voted that everyone
gets FTTH.  So the network is now provided by ewz, the local
electricity company, or by Swisscom and almost every household is
about to get an OTO wall outlet with two possible fiber ports.

You can choose between a number of professional and consumer-grade
ISPs, so they don't even lock you in.  The ISPs either give you a
typical fritzbox CPE and/or a media converter (like the TP-Link
MC220L), but it also works fine with the mentioned SFP.  I now have
1Gbps Internet, fixed IPv4+v6, simply with DHCP (dhcp6c is needed to
get the assigned IPv6 prefix for reassigning it to rad(8) internally).
At least one (consumer-grade) ISP even offers 10G, at least
theoretically, but I didn't dare to try them out.

Reyk