On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:02:23 -0500, David Higgs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Is there a way to programmatically detect whether the hardware
>supports a particular character mode?  I know there's no "query"
>option is wsconscfg; will the driver know enough to bail, or is just a
>trial-and-error scenario?
>
>--david

David,

I know of no hardware "query" to determine supported character modes and
when I think about it, the task might actually be impossible; your
system graphics/video/framebuffer "card" may support some character mode
that your monitor/terminal does not support. Since there is no feed back
from the latter (other than *you* looking at the screen), there's no way
to tell if a particular character mode works (completely).

Personally, I keep it simple and just stick to the defaults.

JCR