::I put on my robe and tinfoil hat.::

What keeps me awake at night is the thought of code running on things
we traditionally don't even think of as having CPUs, like on SSDs, on
the integrated device electronics of SATA disks for example.
Or on the CPU inside your CPU, like the Minix computer inside just
about any recent Intel chip.

Also, do we think it's possible that, if a NIC is physically connected
to a wire or fibre, it could be signalling someone across that same
physical medium but totally out-of-band as far as canonical protocols
and frequencies are concerned? Granted, the expected behaviour of
routers is that they forward only what they forward, under the rules
of the game. But what if the exploit just had enough market
penetration so that some other NIC talking, say, "SnoopyNet" besides
TCP/IP could  be expected to be within physically-wired-up reach of
your SnoopyNet-talking NIC? With enough of a percentage of NICs pwned
by SnoopyNet, they could be talking a dog-whistling language we can't
hear and could be forwarding select data all the way to Fort Meade.
This might be even easier to do with wireless. Think of this as
software- (or firmware-)defined radio on steroids. To pick up on
Raul's point, even with a spectrum analyser hooked up to our
Suspiciously American(TM) NIC, SnoopyNet might be indistinguishable
from noise. SnoopyNet may not even be low-bandwidth. Remember when
people had acoustic and then line modems, and people thought a rate of
kilobits per second was about the limit, but then someone invented
DSL?

Heck, it's possible to build audio bugs no bigger than a grain of rice
and audio+video bugs no bigger than a pea, and even that may not be
the limit, though there will be limits due to optics and wavelength.
Also, any bug that doesn't just store recordings would have to have a
biggish antenna. Unless it's maybe close enough to a firmware-defined
radio running on a SnoopyNet-exploited NIC? Plus, absent the use of
detectable radioisotopes, battery size and endurance will be an issue
-- unless someone has written the mother of all RFID-like protocols
and is using a SnoopyNet-exploited NIC slash RFID-like reader to
actually power the nearby bug too?
OTOH, why even bother with any of that when y'all have smaaatphones,
amirite guise?

Honestly, I don't even know what crypto I can truly trust anymore.
That's mostly not even because of "bUt TeH nSa HaVe tEh qUaNtOoN
cOmPuTaR" rumours^W conspiracy theories; no, it's mainly simply
because of my own ignorance.
Serious question: If Alice and Bob already have a shared password,
what would you do to let them exchange messages without Eve finding
out the content, assuming the shared secret is not long enough to be a
one-time pad?

/doffs tinfoil hat

Ian