Quoting Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>:

No - you wouldn't do it with Unbound which is a *recursive* DNS server, you would use an authoritative one like NSD, PowerDNS, Knot or BIND. All you would do with Unbound is use stub-zone to point it at an authoritative server.

--
 Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.
On 26 July 2019 11:05:44 Flipchan <flipc...@riseup.net> wrote:
Can you link to any guides or pratical howtos on how to pratically do that with unbound ?

Thanks

On July 25, 2019 9:32:29 PM GMT+03:00, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
On 2019-07-25, Flipchan <flipc...@riseup.net> wrote:

Greetings everyone,

Does anyone have a good solution for syncing unbound configuration files?

i have the senario where i have two internal LAN's that in two different offices that need to have the same internal dns system for the local systems, and there is a lot of changes being done in the internal zone records so i need a good way to sync them(the ideal way where to have a similar solution like mysql's master-master replication).

Both dns resolvers are running unbound on openbsd 6.5 and right now the configuration file is synced with ansible. Does anyone have a good solution on replicating dns records/configs for unbound. In the future it will be scaled even more so right now is a good time to implement some replication for the unbound configs.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

There is people changing the config files on both instances so the ideal way would be a replication real time sync function.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Ciao
flipchan

If multiple sites are updating records in the same internal zone at various
times, they would probably be better off with a normal authoritative DNS server serving that zone (with e.g. stub-zone to point unbound at it), editing it in
one place, and using normal DNS replication (zone-transfer and notify)
to push the updates.

I have two locations (foretell.ca and lab.foretell.ca) and for quite a while used NSD and Unbound. But switched to the following approach (however my use case is very simple and my networks are small, but it works well for me)

My unbound.conf on four DNS servers have

include: "/var/unbound/etc/zonedata"

I then set up a simple zonedata file on one server with stuff such as:

local-zone: "foretell.ca." static
.
.
local-zone: "lab.foretell.ca." static
.
.
local-zone: "0.0.10.in-addr.arpa." static
.
.
local-zone: "3.72.10.in-addr.arpa." static
.
.
etc. etc.

Changes to zonedata reflect changes at both locations. Then I just have a rsync process running a few times a day that does the following:

fr1s1.foretell.ca# more dnsupdate.sh
rsync -av zonedata 10.0.0.1:/var/unbound/etc/
rsync -av zonedata 10.0.0.3:/var/unbound/etc/
rsync -av zonedata 10.72.3.1:/var/unbound/etc/
rsync -av zonedata 10.72.3.3:/var/unbound/etc/
ssh 10.0.0.1 /etc/rc.d/unbound restart
ssh 10.0.0.3 /etc/rc.d/unbound restart
ssh 10.72.3.1 /etc/rc.d/unbound restart
ssh 10.72.3.3 /etc/rc.d/unbound restart

Obviously I am not sure if this will scale for your requirements but mentioning this just in case it helps.

Vijay

--
ForeTell Technologies Limited
59 Flamingo Avenue