Could you boot from another bootable device and use boot.conf(8) to
tell it to boot the kernel on the SSD?  Bit of a round-about way of
doing it but it could work if boot(8) can see the SSD.

If the CD boot loader can see the SSD, you could burn it to a CD-R
along with your boot.conf and use it to boot - just make sure you put
it back if you use the drive to install software.

Just spitballing here, I don't have a sparc64 device readily available
for testing.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse