On Fri, 23 Aug 2019, Allan Streib wrote:

With OpenLDAP slapd I would run slapcat periodically to dump out the
directory in LDIF format for backup.

What is the best approach for backing up ldapd?

Good to know that not only I have problems learning the most
elementary things about (open)ldap. I also would like to know
the answer to this question. I also would do what the OP does,
but also save the configuration (slapcat -b cn=config) that
is also stored as ldap. Or perhaps the solution is to see where
openldap saves the data in the file system and back up that as
normal files.

At some point, with a lot of effort, I did undestood the simple
principles of how this hierarchical db works. But it is inflated,
also all documentation, with something that has the taste of big
burocracy. ldap is awful.

Rodrigo