I am posting this to help others with setting up CUPS printing on
OpenBSD. I bought a Xerox wireless color laser printer, a Phaser
6022. Being wireless gets around the USB difficulties.

Here are the steps I took:

1) Install the CUPS package.
2) Add the following line to your /etc/rc.conf.local file:
pkg_scripts=cupsd. Reboot the computer to make sure CUPS is
running.
3) From the CD that came with my Phaser 6022, I removed the file
xerox-phaser-6022_1.0-22_all.deb.
4) This is an archive file. It contains your *.ppd. Do
$ ar x xerox-phaser-6022_1.0-22_all.deb
(See man (1) ar)
5) After extraction you will see data.tar.gz. That tarball
contains
the Xerox_Phaser_6022.ppd.
6) Move Xerox_Phaser_6022.ppd to /root.
7) Start a web browser and point it to "http://localhost:631";
8) Select add a printer and login. I had to use my user account to
login. Logging in as root would not work.
9) Since there is no entry for Xerox, load the
Xerox_Phaser_6022.ppd.

I tested the printing and it works with the commannd line
/usr/local/bin/lpr
and it printed just fine. I also printed from LibreOffic and it
worked fine too. You have to use the absolute path name
/usr/local/bin/lpr, /usr/local/bin/lprm, /usr/local/bin/lpq and
/usr/local/bin/lp to print with CUPS.