On 2019-09-09, Paul Hanson <phb...@outlook.com> wrote:
> TLDR; - Arpwatch new station alert showed arp spoofing attempt. Cloud
> hosting provider is adamant that arpwatch is misinterpreting data.
>
> OpenBSD 6.5 vm running in a cloud hosting provider:
>
>     WEB# uname -a
>     OpenBSD WEB 6.5 GENERIC.MP#3 amd64
>
> Arpwatch installed:
>
>     WEB# pkg_info arpwatch | grep Information
>     Information for inst:arpwatch-2.1a15p19
>
> Received arpwatch notification:
>
>     WEB# grep arpwatch /var/log/daemon
>     Aug 29 10:43:57 WEB arpwatch: new station 2.2.3.12 00:00:00:00:00:01
>
> Checked arp table and found the mac address matched that of the default
> gateway.
>
>     WEB# arp -a
>     Host       Ethernet Address    Netif Expire    Flags
>     2.2.2.1    00:00:00:00:00:01    vio0 9m30s
>     web        22:22:22:22:22:22    vio0 permanent l

That arpwatch notice just shows that there was a packet from an IP address
that hadn't been seen before. What makes you think it's a spoofing attempt?
Something like this might be seen if e.g. a new IP address was added on the
default gateway router.

> Later watching arp traffic showed typical conversations between the
> host and default gateway. No other arp traffic was observed.
>
>     WEB# tcpdump -lnettt -i vio0 arp
>
> I'm interested to hear feedback from misc@ as I didn't get a response
> from the arpwatch list. Is there a log or config I should check?
> Perhaps another utility to consider? Is my cloud hosting provider
> misinterpreting data? Do you suppose they had unplanned & unannounced
> maintenance? Anything else?

A tcpdump from the same time that the arpwatch notice was triggered might give
a clearer picture. Without knowing more about the network config I couldn't
say for sure, but it's quite possible that the hosting provider does protect
against arp shenanigans.