I am trying to move from the base install from the CD/FTP to either
stable or current.  I get the same error regardless of what version I
try with and regardless of what machine (different components inside).
Below is the steps I am doing to rebuild the kernel and the error I am
getting.  Anyone have and ideas on how to correct this problem? Am I
doing it wrong and forgetting something?

cd /usr; cvs -q checkout -rOPENBSD_3_8 -P src
cd /usr/src
find . -type l -name obj |xargs rm
make cleandir
rm -rf /usr/obj/*
make obj
cd /usr/src/etc && make DESTDIR=/ distrib-dirs
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
config GENERIC
cd ../compile/GENERIC
make clean
make depend
make

ERROR MESSAGE

mkdir -p /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC/lib/kern
making sure the kern library is up to date...
make: don't know how to make /usr/src/sys/sys/_types.h. Stop in
/usr/src/sys/lib/libkern.
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC (line 28 of
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC/../../../../lib/libkern/Makefile.
inc).

Paul