On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:10 AM Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:

> On 10/3/19 10:01 AM, sven falempin wrote:
> > Dear readers,
> >
> > I was running a OpenBSD (6.4) device, with a raid mirror array.
> > One of the disk failed, so the system ask me to fsck,
>
> Probably not quite that simple.  More likely, the disk failed,
> that took the system down hard, and it needed an fsck on reboot.
> Which is normal, RAID or otherwise.
>
> > which I did before checking the raid status manually ( :'( ) ,
> > THEN I rebooted and softraid told me: one of the hard drive is dead.
> >
> > But fsck already destroyed a few file on the mirror.
>
> that seems unlikely.  that's not what fsck does -- fsck's job is to
> repair a file system.  If it removes a file, the file is already
> damaged.
>
> > Probably a user error, nevertheless, In openbsd 'simply work' mindset,
> > maybe the /etc/rc could warn or even perform some bioctl check on raid
> > array when first fsck / mount
> > fails.
>
> I'm not seeing what this has to do with RAID, soft or otherwise.  If your
> system needed an fsck, it needed it whether it was a simple drive or a
> RAID array.  If you need an fsck, you are likely to have lost data.
>
> > ( Lost data recovered from backup )
>
> And again...nothing to do with either fsck or RAID -- you have to have
> a backup.  RAID doesn't change that.
>
> Nick.

Let me reformulate as a question, because I clearly misslead you in
thinking that fsck -p from rc would delete files or having a backup
is a bad idea. @_@
I lose recent data with fsck -y , and use it because i have a backup,
the data loss here was massive (old untouched files).

How to check the state of the MIRROR raid array , to detect large
amount of failures on one of the two disk ?

Best.

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do