Joachim Mathes wrote:
- switched network cards from Realtek 8139 (100Mbit) to Realtek 8029 (10Mbit;
works fine for pppoe) (I know they are of poor quality!)

Throw out the Realtek cards and buy a good nic. I had a server (clone P3) with network performance issues, saving files to the server would take forever but reading from the server would work okay. I finally replaced the Linksys card (recognized as a dc, I think) with an em, all fixed.

It cold also be a duplex issue, look for collisions on the network interfaces. Some cards will ignore you when you tell them what duplex to use.