On 2019/10/16 15:49, Tristan Pilat" wrote:
> On 10/16/19 at 08:31P, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2019-10-07, Tristan Pilat <tris...@pilat.me> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to set up a IKEv2 VPN using X.509 Certificate Authentication
> > > with
> > > iked(8). In the Virtual Private Networks (VPN) section of the FAQ there no
> > > section about setting up this with an OpenBSD client. Is there anybody
> > > here
> > > who's done that before?
> >
> > Hoping someone will tell me that I'm wrong, but iked's client-side support
> > is
> > not very flexible and I don't think it supports this - it definitely doesn't
> > support username/password auth as a client.
>
> Does X.509 Certificate Authentication necessarily include the use of an
> username/password auth mechanism?

No that is a different and very common mechanism that is definitely not
supported as a client (but is supported as a server). I mentioned it because
I think that the same thing may well apply for X.509 cert authentication.
(And if iked *does* support X.509 cert auth, it is at the very least
lacking documentation).

My feeling is that iked usually works pretty well as the server-side of
client/server, it has some capabilities for doing lan-to-lan, but there's
not much in the way of client-side support.

> ikev2_pld_payloads: payload VENDOR nextpayload NONE critical 0x00 length 20
> ikev2_sa_negotiate: score 4
> sa_stateok: SA_INIT flags 0x0000, require 0x0009 cert,auth

> Oct 11 16:13:02 xxxxx.example.net local4.warning  Local:198.51.100.2:500
> Remote:198.51.100.1:1011 Username:198.51.100.1 IKEv2 Negotiation aborted due
> to ERROR: Peer authentication method configured is mismatching with the
> method proposed by peer

That message is clear but I can't suggest how to change what iked is
doing for this or say whether it *can* be changed.