On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Stuart Henderson wrote:

I would srongly recommend switching to IKEv2 if you can, it is far easier to come up with a config that still gives decent crypto with mixed client platforms. (Internal client on Apple OS and non-ancient Windows - strongswan on Android/Linux).

I do not disagree.

I just need to move an existing NPPPD to behind a firewall in the short term that serves several iPads and Windows PCs. Once I have the move done, I want to move expand to IKEv2. I was also under the impression that IKEv2 was faster.

The IPsec side should be ok as long as everything supports nat-t (not unusual).

I am still stuck and will try some new things on Monday.

Regards - Damian