Heya

My own experience agrees with you with regards to any system in production.

However, it is also my experience that nothing demonstrates the
difference between what should happen and what actually occurs better
than running the code and seeing the aftermath.

Thankfully, virtualisation makes things much simpler these days, and
running through everything on a clone prior to even considering steps
on the production system is consequently highly recommended.

Shane