marks are fairly useful and easy to define, though traditional
vi doesn't keep them when swapping buffers, unfortunately.
... that's one of the main reasons why I've upgraded to vim. That
and v, and multiple buffers visible at the same time.

Just for the record, to not confuse the OP, vi in Openbsd is nvi.

Nvi can display multiple buffers (they are called screens) splitting
the screen.

Nvi keeps the marks between screens when they are views of the same
file.

About v, I mark the starting position with ms. Then move around
and use `s`` to see what I have.

regards,
adr